These arpeggio fingerings correspond to the major scale fingerings on this blog. Note that I have included all of the chord tones within each position.
Practicing arpeggios from the root of a given harmony is useful but insufficient.
Smooth voice-leading is achieved through stepwise resolution, not melodically arbitrary leaps to the same factor of each harmony.
That said, I feel it is vital to pay special attention to the root of these shapes, as it is the basis for moving them around the fretboard. Hearing the root first will also attune the ear to the quality (major, dominant, minor, half-diminished) of each seventh chord.
THE DROP VOICING BOOK FOR GUITAR: A Complete Guide to Drop 2, Drop 3, Drop 2&3 and Drop 2&4 Chord Voicings & Inversions
“A superb piece of work, which deserves ample success and lasting impact.” – Ricardo Iznaola
THE DROP VOICING BOOK FOR GUITAR is a comprehensive text covering the logic behind “drop” voicings and their application to harmonic progressions and voice-leading. This ground-breaking resource investigates/includes:
- How “drop” voicings are formed, and their application to the guitar
- Four types of drop voicings on nine string sets
- The art of spacing or voicing chords
- Six “core” 6th & 7th chord qualities
- How to derive voicings from elemental forms
- How to move beyond mere memorization and recitation of shapes and voice-lead harmonic textures spontaneously
- Nine comprehensive studies on the Autumn Leaves chord progression
- Reductive techniques to tailor density & register to ensemble/context
- Using chordal knowledge to improvise harmonically-specific melodies
- Harmonizing melodies: “chord-melody” playing
- Extended tertian harmony
- Substitution & superimposition theory and techniques
- Alteration techniques to create an enormous palette of additional chord qualities
- Free audio downloads
- TAB, standard notation, diagrams, and comprehensive charts for practice and reference
Available exclusively from Amazon.com. Please click here to view samples and purchase on Amazon.com